[Linux-aus] Linux Australia member services

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Fri Sep 29 10:59:02 UTC 2006

Donna Benjamin wrote:

> LA.  However the down side is the low regard may ppl have for
> certification, and that it creates a barrier to entry. Jumping hoops is
> something you have to do to join ACS - I don't think we want that here.

may I correct this statement please.

You do not *have* to jump hoops to join ACS.  Students can join by
simply being a student at uni or tafe in ICT/CS courses.

Provisional associate membership happens on application when you have
completed an appropriate degree or cert IV at tafe.  Then with a couple
of years experience on the job you regrade to associate member on
application.

Provisional member comes to people who have finished an appropriate
course at uni.

Membership is available to graduates who have completed a Professional
Level Course and have at least 4 years' Relevant Professional Experience;
OR
to someone who can satisfy the Society that he or she has acquired the
Core Body of Knowledge through demonstrated equivalence and has at least
4 years relevant professional experience

*now its only the last of these that provides any hoops to jump through.*

We particularly welcome people who have a degree in anything and who are
working in IT as a teacher or who have a professional ICT role in
industry as Companion Members if they dont qualify in any of the other
grades. We also encourage senior ICT managers to become members of the
Society.

more specific info about membership is at
http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=membergrades

Yes there's a lot of emphasis on qualifications at the tertiary or VET
level, but how many medical doctors, lawyers, dentists, architects, vets
do you know who dont have at least one degree?  We think the ICT
profession deserves nothing less than the other professions in terms of
the education and qualifications of its practitioners.

So please lets bust the myth that says there's a lot of hoop jumping in
order to join the ACS.

cheers
brenda
ps my view about membership of LA is that it should look at a tiered
system of membership services, free entry to enthusiasts both
practitioners and users because thats the primary reason for LA as i
understand it.  There might also be a range of subscription services
available for a fee.  A model of additional services you might want to
look at is acm.org

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS
Chairman ACS SA http://www.acs.org.au/

The ACS Computer Professional Educational Program impacts
on the Practising Computer Professional scheme. Visit
http://www.acs.org.au/cpprogram/cpp.htm to see how.

Mobile:+61(0) 412 662 988 || Skype: callto://baynsley
Phone:08 8357 8844  Fax:08 8272 7486 Nodephone:08 7127 0107
Oz Business Partners http://www.ozbusinesspartners.com/