[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Fri Sep 22 09:39:03 UTC 2006

At 2006/9/22 08:01+0930  Brenda Aynsley writes:
> James Polley wrote:
>
> > I'm less familiar with ACS (I'm not a member of ACS, as I am of SAGE-AU),
> > but my impression is that they target developers and "engineers". Again,
> > there would be a lot of overlap in terms of people, but ACS' goals and
> > objectives are wildly divergent from organisations like LA. I'm not saying
> > they're at all incompatible - just very different.
> >

> wildly divergent eh?
>
> Here is the mission and the objects of the ACS just for the record :)

Is this still ACS policy?

Excerpts:

  "The Australian Computer Society (ACS) has called for mandatory
  adoption of software quality assurance methodologies such as CMMI
  and compulsory membership of a professional association for software
  developers who wish to win Government business."

  "The ACS released its software quality accreditation policy at the
  meeting, with the following recommendations: all organisations
  should implement process standards such as ISO 9001 and CMMI;
  product standards must be met and testing carried out; and ICT
  practitioners must belong to a professional association (the ACS no
  doubt)."

I'm wondering if the ACS has considered how a policy like this might
affect the ability to develop and deploy Open Source software into
government when it may be developed using quite different
methodologies by people situated around the world.

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org