[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Fri Sep 15 11:34:02 UTC 2006

At 2006/9/15 12:39+1000  Jeff Waugh writes:
> This is not about dissing Linux or changing the focus of the organisation
> and conference: It's about embracing the fact that *neither* of them are
> exclusively about Linux *ALREADY*. Let's clearly say what we mean.

Sure they might not be exclusively about Linux, but they are on topics
which are of significant interest to Linux users and developers. And
at least currently Linux is the focus which draws these topics
together at lca, rather than it being an amorphous collection of talks
about Open Source, Free Culture, Politics, Education and Linux.

All of these are important, but I think that smaller, more focussed
organisations do a better job of serving their member's interests than
large ill defined ones.

Lets not get into the trap of attempting to be everything to
everyone. I believe the Australian community has the capacity to
support multiple organisations which concentrate on these different
areas. It may be appropriate to have an umbrella type grouping to
promote communication and cooperation for common causes between them.

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org