[Linux-aus] Firefox vs IceWeasel

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 22:17:06 UTC 2006

On 10/20/06, David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au> wrote:

> Janet,
>
> > We are at a point in FOSS development where the laws around copyright
> > and trademarks  are at odds with the very real and useful model that open source offers.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > The issue is (as I understand it) not restricted to Firefox and Debian
> > specifically and is a disjoint between traditional functions of
> > trademarks and modern modes of development and distribution.
>
> The issue is quite simple, really.
>
> The Mozilla foundation is stating that they would like to guarantee that
> something wth the Firefox branding is actually - gasp - Firefox. They
> use legal means to make sure that this happens.
>
> The Debian foundation doesn't want to agree to the legal means that
> would allow them to use the Firefox branding, so, as you've stated, have
> chosen the other legal alternative.
>
> <big snip>
>
> Can you define a bit more...
>
>   * The correct path?
>   * Fully open?

My concern is about responses to these issues which suggest that we
bend the rules or turn a blind eye in order not to require a change in
approach.
IMHO we need to have a different kind of trademark which can be used
when a product is based on a brand but which may have been
redistributed by another group, whether that be a distribution or a
school production. Currently trademarks are based on control of
distribution and our business model is based on community
distribution.
For trademarks to work effectively with community based distribution
models there needs to be a 'based on Brand' which provides the
recognition but recognises that this particular instance of this
project is not directly from the Brand. This kind of community use
trademark should be able to be distributed freely with FOSS. Use of a
specifically community use trademark variant in this way should not
impact the defensibility of the trademark as a whole because the mark
indicates both the origins and the distinction between the controlled
product and the community distribution.

Janet