[Linux-aus] President's Report: August / September 2006

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Fri Oct 6 12:45:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 13:40 +1000, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> * Education
> Nothing to report.

Just got back from ACEC2006 in Cairns.

I presented on Open Source Victoria's education initiatives:
* Free Software for schools catalog
* LiveLAMP
* and the FOSS curriculum matrix I'm currently working on

and spread the word about the education mini-conf at LCA and handed out
over 300 discs - a mix of edubuntu, ubuntu CDs and Fedora DVDs

I went to some fantastic sessions - on stuff going on in indigenous
schools and communities, a report on how girls think IT is boring, Ian
Cunningham's presentation on linux in remote communities, Learning
Styles, amongst others...

Once I've had a chance to think and reflect I'll write up an official
report, and think about how I can present what the experience back to
the community.

I also gate-crashed the leadership forum on the 3rd day - which was very
interesting, as teacher leaders discussed the challenges of engaging
kids, equity and re-visioning school design.

So whilst Jon has nothing to report - I do :)

Info: Next ACEC will be in Canberra in 2008, and 2010 will be in
Melbourne.  I believe Linux Australia should seriously consider putting
these events on the radar - we should be actively engaging with the
computers in education community.

Not only at this national conference every 2 years, but every year, in
every state at the conferences of the teacher associations affiliated
with ACCE and ISTE.

1. Attending as delegates.
2. Submitting papers and presenting.
3. Having a presence at the associated trade show.
4. Sponsoring speakers and keynotes.
5. Sponsoring an associated "Open Source Forum / Panel"
6. Sponsoring an OpenCD or LiveCD to go into every delegate bag.

cheers
Donna

--
donna benjamin - executive director