[Linux-aus] Only two more days of voting!

Dave Davey daved at windclimber.id.au
Wed Jan 25 12:43:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:33:26AM +1100, scott-linuxau at sbs.id.au wrote:
> Stewart Smith wrote:
> >Voting is now closed and you can view preliminary results through the
> >membership system.
>
> I do have to ask, looking at the preliminary results for the Ordinary
> Committee Members, in the first Round of vote tallying, we can see we
> have two members on equal number of votes.
>
> When we get to the second round of tallying for the same position, one
> of them is removed Alphabetically, and the other is left.
>
> My question is, should their votes be redistributed and them removed
> alphabetically, or should in fairness, it be both of them at the same time?
>
> That said, looks like a fine bunch of people for next year.

There are accepted ways of tallying preferential votes.  While there
are some aspects of the system that have a chance element, there is nothing
as arbitrary as removal on an alphabetical basis. See
	http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~lee/prsa/rule1977.htm

Dave

--
David F. Davey
D'Entrecasteaux                                       Phone: +61 3 6267 4852
Australia                                            daved at windclimber.id.au