[Linux-aus] Nomination for Ordinary Committee Members

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Jan 10 16:03:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:38:38PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Gary Allpike">
> > It's also interesting to note that the "fresh blood" that are now running
> > LOA have completely forgotten about all the efforts of those that came
> > before them.  To all intents and purposes you would think they founded the
> > association.  Whilst I am quite happy with where the org is going and the
> > people that are running it, it is a bit sad to think that those that
> > founded and ran the org (and built up its nice little kitty for the new
> > lot to use) are completely forgotten.
> They're not mentioned by name, but they're definitely mentioned (as past and
> present committee members). I don't think that's a fair characterisation at
> all.

In support of this, particularly wrt the "built up its nice little kitty"
remark, LA's funds are currently at around the $200k mark made up almost
entirely from proceeds from LCAs from 2001-2005. (Mark's treasurer's
report will include a more information when it's presented at the AGM)

Anyway, as far as forgetting the folks that made that money is concerned,
the committee currently includes myself (LCA 2002, Brisbane), Mark
Tearle (LCA 2003, Perth), and Geoffrey Bennett (LCA 2004, Adelaide);
Steven Hanley, Michael Still and Andrew Pollock (LCA 2005, Canberra)
are on the mirrors sub-ctte; Andrew is also on the admin team, as are
Leon Brooks (LCA 2003, Perth) and Anand Kumria (LCA 2001, Sydney); and
our VP, Pia, is married to Jeff Waugh (LCA 2001, Sydney). AFAIK, CALU
didn't have any proceeds that made it into LA's bank account, but Rusty
(CALU 1999, Melbourne) is LA's IP policy guy, and not forgotten either.

Obviously not everyone who's contributed in the past to making LA
what it is today is currently involved, let alone to the same level,
but saying they're "completely forgotten" is pretty unfair.

(For those playing along at home: Gary is also on the admin team and is
digital's host, and aiui, he and Terry were instrumental in founding the
organisation originally. That's mostly before my time though.)

Cheers,
aj