[Linux-aus] ms vs linux again (was Nomination for Ordinary Committee Members)

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Jan 6 09:34:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 12:04 +1100, James Purser wrote:

> Apart from that I get what you're saying, but we seem to be caught in a
> catch 22 situation. The companies say they wont develop for linux until
> there is a market, and the market wont exist until people start seeing
> that there are alternatives.

I suggest you read "The Innovator's Dilemma".  (Not that it precisely
corresponds to this situation -- books rarely do -- but it's an
interesting book.)  The gist of his thesis is that many innovative
technologies start out as toys that can't be taken seriously by
established producers or their customers.

--
Martin