[Linux-aus] Nomination for Ordinary Committee Members

Terry Dawson terry at linux.org.au
Wed Jan 4 09:36:03 UTC 2006

Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Indeed - however it's worth pointing out that fresh blood has made Linux
> Australia the success it is today, and anyone can get involved with LA
> without needing to be on the committee. I think it's more important for
> Linux Australia to have people who are *currently* active in the community
> playing a leadership / stewardship role than it would be to have a club of
> veterans (though that is certainly a useful model for other organisations).

I feel it worth pointing out that I self-nominated for the position with
the specific intent of becoming more visibly active again. While I do
consider myself a veteran in the sense of having been involved with
Linux for a long time, I certainly don't consider myself a has-been and
my use-by date has certainly not expired :)

I've never been completely inactive, I've rather been pursuing an
objective that has had me become almost completely invisible :) I'd be
happy to talk to anyone interested about the challenges in trying to
have Linux adopted by large scale corporations, suffice it to say, I'm
now fairly convinced that doing it from within the corporation is not
the right approach. I digress.

I've suddenly reacquired a great deal of time (Telstra no longer
requires a research laboratory) and I am looking for somewhere to invest
it. I've got a few propositions on the boil, but I've always been
passionate about Linux Australia and it was my first choice for where to
direct my energies.

The membership will decide what qualities they consider important for
their committee as is proper. I'm simply putting my hat in the ring as
I'm still very keen and very interested in helping out, and I believe I
have a great deal of relevant experience and skill to contribute.

regards
Terry