[Linux-aus] Re: Fwd: Squiz.net Open Source License - is it free?

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Feb 4 04:38:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:15:26PM +1100, Avi Miller wrote:
> Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> >This is about the Squiz.net Open Source License, the license of the
> >MySource Matrix CMS software now used by the Federal Government. LA
> >members might be interested.
>
> I have forwarded this email to our MD and I'll let you know if he has an
> official response. I know our license has been the subject of much
> discussion ever since MySource Matrix was first deployed within both
> State and Federal Government agencies. Our license has been through
> quite a few revisions and modifications since it was first developed and
> we are always looking for ways to make it more agreeable to the larger
> community, while maintaining the ability to support our own commericial
> efforts.

There was a list of comments made regarding specific clauses of the licence
immediately prior to the message which started this thread:

It would probably be worth addressing the points made there, either here or
on debian-legal (although debating in that forum can be an immensely
frustrating experience for the uninitiated).

If you (or anyone from Squiz) wants advice on dealing with debian-legal in
the most productive way possible, please contact me off-list.

- Matt

--
I was punching a text message into my phone yesterday and thought, "they need
to make a phone that you can just talk into."