[Linux-aus] Help with a political approach to Open Source please :)

Mary Gardiner mary-la at puzzling.org
Thu Oct 6 07:56:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005, James Purser wrote:
> After the recent Telstra fiasco I'm willing to bet that more Rural
> voters get turned off the "Party of the Bush" as they come to
> realisation - true or not - that the Nationals are now nothing more
> than empty seats there to make up the numbers for a Coalition
> government.

This may or may not be true, but it doesn't seem like an argument for
leaving the Nationals out of this lobbying effort.

Maybe the lobbying effort is actually going to treat the Coalition as if
they were a single party and Pia used the word "Liberals" instead of
"Coalition". That makes sense at Federal level (not so much in some
states and particularly not in the NT). Failing to expend effort at all
on the Nationals when the Democrats are being lobbied seems worthy of an
explanation at least, and I don't think "they caved in on Telstra and
have a declining vote" is one. As you yourself point out, the Democrats
and Labor have parallel problems, and they're getting lobbied :)

-Mary