[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au domain

Glen Turner glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au
Tue Oct 4 15:42:02 UTC 2005

Brendan O'Dea wrote:

> Pity we can't just get the conf.au zone to contain:
>
>     linux CNAME lca.linux.org.au.
>
> allowing the linux.org.au admins to manage lca.linux.org.au as
> appropriate.

I don't see how that suggestion helps.  The naming policy
for .conf.au is the same for any type of record in .conf.au,
so a CNAME would expire too.

What we really need is for AuDA to get a move on and take
on .conf.au.  Then we could get a permanent delegation
(as long as we paid some registrar or another).

In the meantime, Robert has been very understanding of
the situation we find ourselves in, whilst being careful
not to extend special treatment (as if he didn't follow
the 2LD's policy then he'd have all the domain name sharks
hassling him).

Also, we've lined up AuDA so the sharks can't squat on
linux.conf.au when the 2LD does move to AuDA.

--
  Glen Turner         Tel: (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
  Australia's Academic & Research Network  www.aarnet.edu.au