[Linux-aus] [Fwd: [nzlug] Maori Language for Windows...]

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Nov 29 01:51:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Karin Purser wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I got this message from one of our New Zealand counter parts.  I was
> wondering if there was anyone on this list that might know the answer.
>
> Cherio,
> Karin.
>
> http://mirror.linux.org.au
> "May all you hopes and dreams be just around the corner"
>
>> Hello,.
>
>> Just watched the news, and I saw that Microsoft have released a Maori
>> Language pack for Windows and Office, and a spell checker as well.
>
>> Does anyone know how the project to translate Linux into Maori is going?
>
>> Just wondered if the developer/maintainer of that project wanted to
>> contact TV3 who had the report, to try and get some perspective on the
>> story and do a story of a finished product in Linux?

The racial segregation continues.

Any maori who can use a computer, can likely speak and understand
English sufficiently to use the english versions of Windows or Linux
and to understand the english as used in these two operating systems and
their applications.

It's a bit like the mob that this year, went along part of the east
coast of the north island, and threatened businesses who would not pay
the "maori parliament", a mafia-like organisation, protection money,
with violent acts against their businesses, and the ongoing acts by some
militants who seek to have apartheid fully implemented in NZ, like the
maori terrorists who made their televised threats against the asian
countries at the APEC conference in 1995, when NZ won the america's cup
from australia, when the aussie boat broke in half and sank. But then,
in a country (NZ) that has different seats of parliament for different
races, even though none of the races are native to NZ, all ancestors of
NZ'ers having migrated to NZ from other countries, it is not really
surprising.

If Linux is to embody racial segregation amongst its objectives, then
so be it, but there is no beneficial need for Linux or Windows, to be
translated into maori.

It would be better to instead get Linux working properly, and stable, by
implementing utilities that do things like freeing up memory that was
used by applications that have been closed, and getting the MTA's to
include character sets as filtering criteria.

The primary language of NZ, is english. The only people in NZ who
understand maori and not english, are likely to be unfamiliar with
electricity and motor cars, etc, let alone computers, and are likely to
be illiterate. Perhaps, someone at last has found the lost tribe in
Fiordland, that had never seen white men, and has rapidly "civilised"
them and taught them computing, and knows the particular language of
that tribe, to be able to "civilise" them and teach them computing.

And, it would be interesting to find a person who can read and write
maori, who cannot equally read or write english, given that maori was
not a written language, and so any maori person who can read or write
maori, must also be able to equally well, read and write english.

Oh, and, from what I read, it was MS Office, and not Windows, that was
translated into maori, or had a maori language add-in. And, I wonder
which maori dialect was used for the MS Office add-ins. Different tribes
and different areas, have different words and grammars. Each of the
differen tribes, the Ngati Porou, Tuhoe, Ngati Awa, Nga Puhi, Ngai Tahu,
Moriori, and the other many maori tribes, had somewhat different
languages.

And, given the pedantic nature of computer commands, what happens when
the "a" and its variants, "aa" and the "a" with a macron, are used and
interchanged, as can happen between speakers of the same dialect, apart
from different dialects?

And, what happens to commands like ls, given that maori has no 's'
character, and no 'l' character? And, what happens to X-windows, given
that maori has no 'x' character? Do these facilities simply get deleted
from a Maori version of linux? And, what will it be named, without the
'l' and 'x' of Linux?

It would be more relevant to this list, to ask when Linux is going to be
translated into all of the separate aborigine languages and dialects. I
think there are only a few hundred of them, some with as few as one
person knowing a particular language (there was a case of an aborigine
man who was prosecuted, but could not be tried in a court, because
no-one else could be found, who spoke his language, and so no-one
could translate for him and explain what was happening).

But then, as shown by the upcoming conference, NZ is being absorbed into
australia, or, the Linux groups in New Zealand appear to be giving up
their national identity, and being absorbed into australia. So, it would
be more appropriate to translate Linux and Windows, and their
applications, into strine, to provide for the average aussie, and the
absorption of NZ into oz.

And, when is Linux going to be translated into Latin and the "q"
gaelic, and the "p" gaelic, and other such languages as equally alive as
maori?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale