[Linux-aus] ATO - Software Compatibility

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 19:02:02 UTC 2005

On 11/17/05, Novensiles divi Flamen <noven at sincorp.org> wrote:
> I made a complaint about this a few months ago. I got the windoze CD and
> couldn't understand why the java was packaged inside a win installer. I tried
> to pull it apart but my java-fu wasn't good enough to get it to work. If
> anyone has done it I'd love instructions.
> My entry level java taught me that it should *usually* run the same on any OS.
> Do any java masters actually know of a legitimate reason why a java client
> developed for windows wouldn't go under linux?
> I'm sending in a complaint every two months just for good measure. I second
> the idea of eveyone getting on the bandwagon with this one.

As others have said, Java is not a magic bullet for portability.  It
relies on a runtime that provides a virtual machine, and there have
been a long list of incompatible virtual machines that we call Java.

If it doesnt `just work' on Linux, its because either they are using
JNI to talk to a Windows DLLs (doesnt sound likely because it also
works on OSX), or the portability layer isnt doing its job -- wouldnt
be the first time.

Is this java stuff available in a unencumbered form so technical folk
can make it work?

Linux has more working JVMs than any other platform, it should not be
difficult to find one that works, or with a community willing to help
get this app across the line.

If not others cant download it, those with it should email a mailing
list with stack traces, or console logs, or even screenshots, showing
where the problem is.  If it's written in Java, it can be coerced into
a working state.

--
John