[Linux-aus] Re: FYI: Canada's proposed copyright laws

Pia Smith greebo at pipka.org
Tue Mar 29 18:46:02 UTC 2005

Man, you guys certainly have the smarter government. Frustrating that the
Aussie gov is not able/willing to stand up or at least attempt to understand
such things.

Cheers,
Pia

<quote who="Andrew Cowie">

> On Fri, 2005-25-03 at 13:11 +0800, Chris Pudney wrote:
> > From slashdot
> > <http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/24/2243232.shtml?tid=123&tid=17>:
> >
> > " The Canadian government has reportedly said no to the DMCA. It released
> > its plans for copyright reform today with a limited anti-circumvention
> > provision that would not cover the likes of DeCSS. It even avoided the U.S.
> > "notice and takedown system" that has caused a big headache for U.S. ISPs.
> > A good summary is available from Canadian law professor Michael Geist. "
> >
> > If Canada, which has a "free-trade" agreement with the USA (as part of
> > NAFTA) can reform its copyright legislation then Australia can/should too.
>
> As I understand it, the Canada-US FTA (later expanded into NAFTA) didn't
> include intellectual property provisions, whereas the Australia-US FTA
> does.
>
> Nevertheless, if it holds up it will be a surprisingly firm stand on the
> part of the Canadian government. Good for them!
>
> AfC
> Singapore
>
> --
> Andrew Frederick Cowie
> Management Consultant
>
> Technology strategy, managing change, establishing procedures,
> and executing successful upgrades to mission critical business
> infrastructure.
>
> http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
>
> Sydney   New York   Toronto   London

Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                "Women hold up half the sky." - Mao Tse Tung