[Linux-aus] Wrong medium, wrong market

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Mon Dec 12 09:26:01 UTC 2005

On 12/12/05, Janet Hawtin <lucychilli at adam.com.au> wrote:

> If there was a press article about the project that Pia did in the
> Northern territory deploying a Linux network for community benefit
> there is no need for comparative reporting of MS. It is a story about
> real experience with people who can be seen involved and happy.

Absolutely, and there are many other stories that we could leverage as
well. What Pia has been doing with communities such as Miwatj is
fantastic and makes for a great human-interest angle, and there are so
many other good things being done by the FOSS community in Australia
that we're not exactly short of stories.

The problem we've had so far has been getting these stories out, and
that's where the Press Team really needs to get involved.
Unfortunately it has stagnated a bit this year but James Purser has
recently been actively getting things underway again which is great.

For example, earlier this year I wrote up press releases for a couple
of LA projects including the FOSS Community Kiosks in Darwin and the
Twisted Sprint, but they never ended up being distributed because
there just wasn't a mechanism to do so. What we need is a smooth
process that allows us to pump stories out to the press as
opportunities come up, and with the cool projects being supported by
the Grant Scheme those opportunities happen at least once each month.

We're doing lots of cool stuff, we just need a to make people are aware of it.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer