[Linux-aus] "start anything you like" type commercials on telly?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Dec 10 09:17:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:33, Jason King <pizza at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> late at night I've seen maybe two or three commercials a night, from
> your favourite software company, telling you to start anything you like.

Those ads always make me laugh. Five years ago, Microsoft didn't feel much
need to advertise. Their greatest competitor was themselves, and what little
advertising they had was focused on enticing consumers to upgrade their
existing versions of Windows or Office.

Today, the advertising budget is clearly bigger, and it is clear that they are
competing with external entities apart from themselves. This is the biggest
indicator of the competitive strength of non-Microsoft solutions I have ever
seen.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"You may think 'Yes Minister' is a comedy. I know it's a documentary"
			-- Peter Lilley