[Linux-aus] "start anything you like" type commercials on telly?

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 04:31:02 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Jason King <pizza at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> late at night I've seen maybe two or three commercials a night, from
> your favourite software company, telling you to start anything you like.
>
> Why isn't linux getting ad time as well?  a linux ad might not be as
> flashy as the cgi and gut-wrenching voiceovers of the M$ ads , but I'm
> sure that a decent job could be done. (references to "pants" or "oath"
> might have to be hidden though , that might scare people)

If you'll pay for it, great! Look, recently my church paid > $300 for
a quarter page ad in our *local* paper. Now, I've been told that a
local TV ad for one area, off-peak, would cost around $1000. But for a
national ad we'd need several thousand dollars.

> The upcoming lca conference would be a good opportunity to get a few
> shots of hundreds of normal people all proclaiming their favourite
> operating system.

It would also be a good time to collect money.

andrew

--
This space for rent. Enquire within. Terms and conditions apply. See
store for details.