[Linux-aus] Refactoring Linux Australia

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Thu Dec 8 21:21:01 UTC 2005

With elections coming up and so on, I think it's time that solid models
be put up for people to examine and discuss. We've had time to think
about what we would like to see LA do and achieve and how we think it
could be done, now is the time to really get down to the nuts and bolts.

If it helps I'll start off:

Committee: 7 members (4 Office Bearers(2 year terms), 3 Ordinary
Committee Members(1 Year Terms)): I've explained my views on this before

Paid Positions: Part Time Accounting Help only. Beyond this I don't
think LA is at the stage where we really need to look at full time GMs
or the like. If we continue to grow then yes I can see a need maybe
three to five years down the track.

Sub-Committees: This idea I love. If the Committee can delegate to
Sub-Committees for various duties including Press Management, Advocacy,
Grants and so on, this reduces the need for paid staff and involves the
membership more in the governing process.

Paid Membership: I don't think this is a good idea at the moment.
Charging for memberships could turn off those who would otherwise be
willing and able to get into the org and start helping out.

In my opinion, the above presents a good way to start Linux Australia's
journey into the future. Up until now LA has done well under good
leadership and enthusiastic supporters, we need to be able to continue
to encourage this while allowing for a more diverse membership and the
changing goals of Linux Australia.

--
James Purser
Chief Talking Guy - Linux Australia Update