Re: [Linux-aus] Projects killed by Patents

<quote who="Jared Woodbridge">

> On 8/9/05, Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> wrote:
> > For instance, GNOME cannot implement spring-loaded folders [1] in
> > Nautilus because Apple has a patent on it. This makes me cry deep inside
> > sometimes.
>
> But KDE has that, so why are they allowed? Have Apple just not talked to
> them about not doing it yet?

KDE tend to be less protective of their distributor's interests than GNOME,
particularly when it comes to legal issues (a behaviour which dates back all
the way to being based on Qt when it wasn't free).

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit: October 8th-10th              http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

   "I would hack on the file selector. But I think I would write like, 3
   LOC for every 100 lines of mail I had to read/write." - James Willcox