[Linux-aus] Grant request

Davyd Madeley davyd at madeley.id.au
Sat Aug 13 13:11:01 UTC 2005

(the webpage http://www.linux.org.au/projects/grants was ambiguous on
exactly where to send this, sorry if it has annoyed anyone)

Date: August 12th, 2005

Project Name: Tinderboxing GNOME

Aim of Project:

As part of UCC's [1] unspoken committment to supporting open source and
free development, the UCC has taken to assisting GNOME Quality Control
by running automated building and testing of the project tree, aka
tinderboxing [2].

Person Resposible for Request:

Davyd Madeley <davyd at madeley.id.au> is the UCC Secretary.
James Andrewartha <trs80 at ucc.asn.au> is the UCC Vice President, and
maintaining the tinderbox. Either may be contacted.

Request:

The UCC is tinderboxing on a powerful, multicpu machine named manbo [3].
While it is powered by Solaris, we hope to use new tools available in
Solaris to generate automated testing information to help make GNOME
more stable and perform better clock for clock.

The machine manbo has been upgraded with fast disks and lots of RAM
(around 11G), what we want to do now is upgrade the CPUs. For AUD$1300,
plus shipping, we can order 20 new CPUs for this machine, increasing its
processing power by a factor of around 4x.

UCC would be eternally grateful to Linux Australia, and would
demonstrate this through mentions on the website, in official
publications and on the machine MOTD for the rest of the machine's life.

Obviously, this is a large sum of money to request, but the UCC is
willing to accept any contribution that is made towards this goal.

Yours Faithfully,
--Davyd Madeley
UCC Secretary, 2005

[1] http://www.ucc.asn.au/
[2] http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/gnometinderbox/LATEST/
[3] http://www.ucc.asn.au/machines/manbo.ucc

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA