[Linux-aus] Re: Projects killed by Patents

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Tue Aug 9 13:04:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 02:17:22PM +1000, James Purser wrote:
> Okay I'm looking for any local Open Source projects that have been killed
> off by software patents. I would like to include something about this in
> the next podcast so if anyone knows of any such projects drop me a line.

The best example I can think of is rproxy:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;839160262;fp;512;fpid;968099126
http://rproxy.samba.org/

There were better statements about the problems at that second URL, but they
appear to have been taken down.  Perhaps the problem has been negotiated to
a resolution.  It's still a decent case study of the potential problems,
though, even if it's no longer a really active case.

- Matt