[Linux-aus] MPAA "Worlwide Anti-Piracy"

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at tellurian.com.au
Sat Oct 2 10:56:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 11:47, David Newall wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 08:56, Michael Davies wrote:
> > because of links to open-source projects that happen to have the same
> > names as Hollywood movies.
>
> Well.  Who would have thought that an organisation like Linux Australia
> would be little more than a nest of pirates.  Tsk tsk.  Something should
> be done about them.

It's probably worth reminding you that many of our mailing lists have
publically googleable archives and even though most of us assume
sarcasm, it's always possible that this will come back and bite someone
on the arse.

> Oh, you mean that was MPAA *slandering* LA?  They shouldn't be allowed
> to get away with that.  Have you considered suing them?

Was it actually slanderous? I'm not familiar with law, but I was under
the impression that slander was supposed to be a bunch of untrue public
statements (or something like that). As far as I can tell, it wasn't
public and I don't think that there's anything that we could prove to be
untrue. The untrue thing may also be irrelevant. I'm also unsure of the
differences between slander and defamation.

The letter states that they 'have received information that....'. Prove
that that's not the case. :-)

It's clearly an automated job that looks for certain patterns in pages
and sends an e-mail based on that. It's probably worth LA
double-checking that no warez piratez have turned the LA box into a pr0n
server and then sending back an e-mail suggesting that they play a game
of hide-and-go-fuck-themselves. Or words to that effect :-)

thx,
Matt