[Linux-aus] Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

jess at crecom.com.au jess at crecom.com.au
Wed Mar 24 09:08:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:52:15PM +1030, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On 23/03/2004, at 8:18 PM, Tony Nugent wrote:
> >willing to live with whatever the ultimate decision is, but
> >personally I would dearly like to see this mailing list restricted
> >to posts from subscribers only.
>
> You've got my vote in on this one too; I can live with the way it is
> now, but I don't see why we shouldn't do something about it.  There's
> plenty of OSS software out there, and proven strategies to rid us of
> most this stuff, and its logical an organization such as we should be
> using such technologies.

> What's the rationale behind allowing anybody to post, anyway?

If it weren't for this policy someone like me would be unable to join this
discussion... I'm currently fighting with a misconfigured Mutt on my
personal account, and am unable to post from the email address that I am
subscribed under. In fact, I'm sending this email from work...

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:49:56PM +1030, David Lloyd wrote:
> > > I assume it goes in with the whole openness thing - if someone wants
> > > to comment on the organisation, they'll be a whole lot less
> > > motivated, the more hoops they need to jump through. It's a good way
> > > of coercing the entire community to join in the fun.
> >
> > They've proven they can post to a mailing list. Diddims. If it were
> > closed, they could prove they were determined enough to actually CARE
> > that their post got rejected.
>
> Ok, my sarcasm got me confused.
>
> It translates as: if the lists were closed and somebody managed to post
> to it, it actually means they went to some effort to do so.

Or rather: that their email address harvesting software went to some
effort to do so.
I'm not the only one who has seen spam to subscriber-only lists...

Linux-aus is already running spamassasin, perhaps someone needs a prod to
make sure it's kept up to date, but the comment about the list
replicating virii is a valid one. It seems the better mailman option to
enable would be the one to strip attatchments... although this, too, could
be an inconvenience for members...

As usual, Spam is a problem with no single solution. the very existence
of an email system is enough to enable it...

-- Jessica Mayo
(everything with a grin :)