[Linux-aus] AutoZone tech speaks

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Mar 14 08:51:02 UTC 2004

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20040215015800694#c78161

--------------8<--------cut-here--------8<----------------
Supplemental No. 8: AutoZone claims are false

Authored by: jbgreer on Wednesday, February 18 2004 @ 10:00 AM EST

I don't know whether to be pleased or angry at SCO's assertion that IBM
must have assisted AutoZone's transition to Linux due to the "precision
and efficiency with which the migration occurred". You see, I was a Sr.
Technical Advisor at AutoZone, where I was an employee for over 10
years. During my tenure, I participated and led in the design,
development and maintenance of many of AutoZone's store systems. More
importantly, I initiated AutoZone's transition to Linux and I directed
the port of their existing store software base to Linux. I personally
ported all of AutoZone's internal software libraries for use under
Linux. I personally developed the rules by which other AutoZone
developers should make changes to their code to support both Linux and
SCO's OpenServer product. I believe at one point I had as many as 35
AutoZone developers performing porting work for me, much of which was
trivial, given that our code did not generally rely on SCO specific
features and that the more technologically sophisticated portions of
our code tended to reside in our libraries. The developers were also
responsible for testing their individual applications under both SCO
and Linux; I supplemented this activity by performing builds of the
entire AutoZone store software base on my desktop, which I had
converted to Linux.

As to the claim that SCO's shared libraries were a necessary part of the
port: false. No SCO libraries were involved in the porting activity.

As to the claim that IBM induced us to transition to Linux: false. It
was, in fact, SCO's activities that 'greased the skids' and allowed the
business case for using Linux to be made more easily. That is a story
long in the telling; perhaps I'll share it another day.

One should remember the Linux business environment that existed at the
time the AutoZone transition began. Several vendors - the original
Caldera Linux distribution company, Red Hat, and Linuxcare - were
offering support for enterprise installations of Linux. In fact, Bryan
Sparks, then CEO of Caldera, flew to Memphis and met with me during my
evaluation of the various distribution and support offerings. I also
met and talked briefly with Dave Sifry of Linuxcare during the 1999
Linux Expo. AutoZone settled on Red Hat chiefly because of my
familiarity with their distribution and the ease with which AutoZone
could negotiate a support agreement with them.

I must add that SCO was eventually made aware of AutoZone's transition
to Linux. They responded by offering to assist AutoZone in the porting
activity. By the time of their offer, AutoZone had already completed
the initial porting activity and had already installed a Linux-based
version of their store system in several stores.

Finally, I'll add that I was for a time a member of SCO's Customer
Advisory Board. As such, I believe I have some useful insights as to
why SCO lost AutoZone's and several other large accounts' business.

Regards, Jim Greer

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA