[Linux-aus] FTA circumvention devices

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Fri Mar 5 08:24:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 10:48, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> Barring that, I'm reverse engineering (in good faith) the lawfully obtained
> DVD player software program that came with my DVD drive, for the purposes of
> making my independently created DVD player software interoperate with the file
> format (vob), said file format containing some technological measures that I'm
> circumventing solely for this purpose.

Sure, you can interoperate with that program you bought.

You can't interoperate with anything else.

Linux Australia is looking to get a legal opinion on this stuff, but
while clever wording might help with a sympathetic judge, the intent of
the treaty seems fairly clear (assuming the legislation actually uses
the same words).

Cheers,
Rusty.
--
Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an idiot -- Rusty Russell