[Linux-aus] FTA circumvention devices

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Mar 4 15:54:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:13:31PM +1100, Rusty Russell wrote:
> ie. is a DVD a computer program?  If not, you're SOL.

Pretty sure there's case law that says it's not; I think there was a video
rental case where a distributor was trying to charge higher prices for
rental DVDs than for selling to the public, and was suing Video Ezy or
someone because they'd just gone ahead and bought the "for the public"
DVDs and rented them out. They justified their suit on the program code
included on the DVDs, but their suit was rejected.

I might be wrong, IANAL. Hopefully the above's enough for a real lawyer to
find the case and produce a real answer, if anyone cares.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004