[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] Price drops for Microsoft's products in Malaysia

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Mar 4 14:47:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:50, Adam Crow wrote:
> This is where that Linux on XBox might have been good.

Yes? What's an XboX cost these days? $300?

Add interfaces, keyboard, mouse, screen and enough RAM to make it
useful, now what does it cost?

Ignoring the screen for the moment, I can do a _real_ (well, as real as
cheap-end COTS gets these days) computer for about $500 retail plus
software. If you were doing scads of them, that would be about two
minutes of PXE magic for each. This included five times the disk space,
four times the memory, four times the processor speed and two
industry-standard expansion busses (PCI and USB). In lots of 1000 I'd
be surprised if I couldn't do them for $400 apiece retail.

As with most of Microsoft's deals, it's got bones in it.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Past Committee Member, Linux Australia