[Linux-aus] FTA circumvention devices

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Mar 4 12:35:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 03:04:52PM +1100, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > Yay. Linux DVD playing is doomed.
> > 7(e) then goes on to limit the exceptions that can be created to:
> > 	(i) reverse engineering for interoperability
> This one leaves me feeling comfortable enough to write DVD playback software
> already, without the later clause.

I'd suspect that means breaking technological prevention measures
on the device doing the decoding, rather than the software though,
or at the very least requiring that the product you're creating can't
be used as a circumvention device -- like it's a physical player that
can't copy DVDs.  Closed source software could probably manage that,
but it seems trivial to convert any open source DVD playing software
into a circumvention device...

But hey, maybe .au law can be broader than that reading of that clause.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004