[Osia-discuss] Re: [Linux-aus] MEDIA RELEASE: Open Source Industry Australia - National Body Launched

Del del at babel.com.au
Mon Mar 1 18:00:40 UTC 2004

Pia Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 11:06, Con Zymaris wrote:
>

>>Australia now has a national body tasked with increasing the uptake of
>>Free & Open Source Software (FOSS) throughout the Corporate, Government
>>and Education sectors. This group will also work towards improving the
>>success of FOSS-related businesses and professionals.
>

> Linux Australia wants to congratulate OSIA on its formulation. We look
> forward to working with you to achieve common goals, and deal with
> common issues and concerns. By maintaining a focus on FOSS from both a
> commercial _and_ community focus, we can be sure that the future of
> development and commercial viability of Open Source will not be
> threatened.

Are there any plans to associate / form a working agreement / affiliate
the organisations in any way?  Although I see LA as for the users and
the LUGs for the LUs, and linux.conf.au for the linux.conf'ers, it'd
be good to have some kind of working agreement covering things like
media relations, trade show relations, etc.

The topic of installfests and/or commercial Linux trade shows has been
bantered about the community again (I just posted to the SLUG activities
list on it).  Is this something that LA and OSIA can work together on?

Lastly, a question for OSIA.  Is it incorporated?  Going to be incorporated?
Going to have elected office bearers / a formal steering body?  Or are
we just a mailing list and a web site for the time being?

--
Del