[Linux-aus] FTA hopes in war on pirates

John Knight anarchisttomato at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 11 19:50:01 UTC 2004

I'd be interested to know about the entire effect of
piracy and open source software. An example I'm
thinking of is the GIMP. A great program in its own
right, but every Windows using friend I have dismisses
it because it's not as good as Photoshop.

Yet not one of them has paid up a cent for their
software and has no qualms with 'just dowloading it
from an ftp somewhere'. As long as these people
refrain from paying their several-hundred-dollar fees
(at a minimum), it will continue to hurt open-source
projects trying to provide a viable alternative.

I can assure you, if any of them were forced to pay or
use something else, I'm sure they'd all choose the
GIMP over the (I'm guessing) $900 fee.

End of rant. :)
John

--- Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote: > Few days