[Linux-aus] Blurb for me

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jan 5 12:48:02 UTC 2004

Leon Brooks is a 41yo male caucasian programmer/analyst/trainer/dogsbody
living in Perth, Western Australia, with a wife and 2.5 excellent
offspring (the .5 is shared with a previous wife). He likes SciFi
(David Weber, of late) and science in general, gadgets and nature, good
veggo food and Australia's magnificent scenery (often from the shelter
of a camera).

Leon has been programming since a Wang 2200B crossed his path at high
school in 1978 (first seriously cut his teeth on the UWA University
Computer Club's Alpha Micro 100 (Murphy) in 1980), dearly loves the
neo-anarchism of the Free/Open Source Software community, and avidly
despises computers which are trusted by their makers but not by him.

As well as programming, Leon writes articles and flames. He uses the
Mandrake distribution (oddly, with Debian a close second) and edits
with vi under BASH in a Konsole. Mail happens via KMail and both web
and file management by Konqueror if possible.

Leon has been an LA OCM for a year, and loved it. They're a great
committee and he's sad to hear that Tridge and Hugh are both passing
the baton (they've been great stabilising influences and have taught us
quite a lot about how corporatia see us). Leon doesn't see himself as
quite careful enough to fill a banner role like Prez, Trez or Secy but
is OCM for PLUG and SLPWA as well as for LA (and finds the cross-talk
productive).

Leon shares our current illustrious President's ideal of a vital,
enthusiastic and deeply involved community, and would work to make LA
both approachable enough and resourceful enough to act as important
catalysts in the FOSS revolution that's breaking on top of us now.

Leon supports sensible and useful ideas even when he don't personally
like them, and supports sensible and useful people even when he
disagrees with them or suffers a personality clash. He believes that
most of what we know is wrong or inadequate, yet that we must press
ahead enthusiastically with what we have; walk a mile, see a mile.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia