[Linux-aus] Promoting FOSS in Australia

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Tue Feb 24 23:44:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 10:46, Ben Minton wrote:

> Is this a political fight? Should it become one? Given our .gov.au 's
> preference for proprietry business solutions being reinforced by poorly
> structured purchasing and support contracts, maybe this is the next
> step.

A real danger at the moment is OSS becoming an election platform,
meaning that one party drives it and other may oppose on the basis of
who is driving it. If this happens it becomes a case of "if" rather than
"how". By approaching many groups equally, hopefully they will see the
benefits of OSS and the OS model in different areas in Australia, then
it is down to the details of "how".

Politicians have agendas too ;) we can't go clapping every person on the
shoulder who takes to this stuff. Strategies! Not just reactive actions.

My 2c worth.

Pia

PS - this was a thought, and not directly related to the OSV statement.
--
Pia Smith <pia at linux.org.au>
Linux Australia