[Linux-aus] Media Contact and FOSS education

Marco Ostini m.ostini at uq.edu.au
Fri Feb 13 08:04:01 UTC 2004

Hello all,

> 1) Linux Australia certainly needs a better media group. I like the idea
> of a group of people that work with the Press Officer, so that there is
> a central point of contact to a group of dedicated media people.

Yes, I've mentioned this before, but I also think this is the smartest
option to provide the best of both worlds.

Community + Accessibility

> ... fairly small as has been suggested. Possibly 4 people? Any volouteers?

May I nominate Leon Brooks as either a candidate for the Media Officer
position, and at very least on the media group.

If there is minimal interest, that I would also like to assist in the
media group.

> I have a few ideas for this, but would suggest Open Source Australia.
> Regardless of what we think of the term, it has become a point of
> reference, and highly over-used and thus recognised one. That is an
> important point, we need to maintain points of reference that are
> understood outside our world.

Sadly, we do eventually have to use the language that is best understood
in the mainstream.

eg. Since they became available, I always referred to USB Flash Drives
as "Flash Drives" Given that they have flash memory, and are a drive.
Sometimes I would mention the USB part.

Common mainstream language today seems hell bent on referring to them as
"Thumb drives", because thumbs are well known for storing digital
information??? hmmm. Maybe appearance has something to do with it..

Oh Well.

Pax
Marco
--

           Marco Ostini                   Senior IT Officer
  ,-_|\