[Linux-aus] FTA with China

Craig Warner craigw at blue.net.au
Wed Dec 15 21:45:02 UTC 2004

Last week I wrote a note about the Howard Governments push for regional
FTA's. The concern was the after the debate on the AUSFTA Chapter 17,
that Australia would push as a defacto arm of USA similar IP laws with
these regional FTA's.

So when you read the following DFAT website under the Interectual
Property Rights heading.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/china/framework/economic_framework.html

There is one line that stands outs.

"The Parties will work cooperatively bilaterally, regionally and
multilaterally on matters of intellectual property protection."

The use of word "multilaterally" , could mean many things but to me
indicates the affect of AUSFTA Chapter 17 could flow onto the
China-Australia FTA.

Also from the *STUDY OF A BILATERAL FREE TRADE AGREEMENT (FTA) BETWEEN
AUSTRALIA AND MALAYSIA

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/malaysia/fta/tor.html
*

    * the potential for improved cooperation in areas such as
      competition policy and practices and intellectual property

In the Dissent *(http://www.dissent.com.au), BRYN DAVIES *wrote on
AUSFTA’s implications for Australian intellectual property and
communications industries. He shows AUSFTA’s intellectual property
‘harmonisation’ provisions are identical to proposals the US failed to
get approved within the framework of the World Intellectual Property
Organisation because of their bias towards US interests.

So now what I can say is that US is picking and using regional countries
like Australia, Singapore, Chile, Israel, Jordan, Morocco and Panama one
by one and slowly but surely getting it's own way by these funny FTA's
to enforce it's framework in the WITO.

I hope my theory is wrong.

Craig