[Linux-aus] Grant Application #2

Jeremy Lunn jeremy at austux.net
Fri May 16 18:43:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 06:37:57PM +1000, Kimberly Shelt wrote:
> Please note:  LinMagAU  NOT linuxmagau :)

Whoops :)

> I am not sure what sort of liability you mean?
> Basically LinMagAU is me at the back end:)

The only problem with this is that if someone for any reason decides to
sue LinMagAU then the onus falls back on you.  As a result you could
loose your house or any property.  One way to solve that is with
incorporation, another way is with insurance (could be costly).
Alternatively you could probably do it so that LinMagAU becomes part of
Linux Australia.

> Whilst I understand incorporation and other legal company issues may
> be relevant in the future, right now, we have no incoming $'s at all..
> (with the exception of LA's offer which is not approved as yet).
> So far no one has been paid, no one is employed by "LinMagAU"..

Yep, well the only thing with incorporation is that you have to follow
certain rules and comply with the Act.  Though apart from that it's very
cheap to do (in Victoria it costs $60 to register which is cheaper than
registering a business name) and not too hard to do.  The hardest part
can perhaps be getting the people together, you need at least five
members (though that may vary from state to state), though usually more
since in most states the model rules seem to require about six committee
members.

I'm in the process of setting up an incorporated association so if you
ever do need any help with that do feel free to ask me (though the laws
will probably differ in other states).

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia