[Linux-aus] SCO suspends it's Linux distribution

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri May 16 09:47:02 UTC 2003

On Thursday, 15 May 2003 at 14:44:42 +0930, David Lloyd wrote:

> Jessica,
>
>> I muse that it's strange all this fuss is happening over Linux and I
>> never heard any complaints about any of the BSDs... but I may just be
>> uninformed. :)
>
> The BSD war happened years ago. AT&T decided that it would have a go at
> the University of California, Berkeley Systems Division about use of
> Unix (tm) [it was AT&T's at the time] code in the BSD kernel.

No, the suit was initially filed against BSDI.  They brought in UCB
(which had a significant law school; what idiots) shortly before
settlement was reached.  I don't see this as a coincidence.  The time
frame was 1992 to 1994.

> Eventually these two organisations settled this out of court, if I
> recall, and BSD

CSRG

> released two versions of BSD:
>
> I believe that this was around the time that an operating system
> called MSDOS appeared. These wars only served to destroy the Unix
> (tm) market.

No, MS-DOS appeared in 1981.  At the time, 4BSD was in the early
development stages.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key