[Linux-aus] Linux Australia AGM Held

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Sun Feb 2 21:36:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 07:23:49PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> The inference was that it was only open to conference attendees. Also,
> it was not indicated as being open to people who were not either
> conference attendees or existing members.

Yes, that is completely correct. The meeting was only open to existing
members. Conference attendees become members at the AGM, the existing
membership renewed beforehand. Only previous members and conferences
attendees had the opportunity to become members.

Something the committee has as it first order of business is to correct
that problem.

> It is not a need for "layers". It was simply a suggestion for regional
> representation.
>
> I had not imagined that regional representation, at what is supposed to
> be a country-oriented body, would meet such opposition.

You've still not put forth any substantive reason for it apart from "it
would be good". In what way would it be good?

> What I suggested, was simple enough.
>
> The opposition is amazing, to such a simple and reasonable suggestion.

Are you really surprised when you start an email with:

"Without knowing exactly the purpose, membership, or constitution of
Linux Australia ..." that people aren't lining up to commend you for
your thoughts?

You keep repeating the claim that geographical representation is simple
and reasonable.

Sorry, truth by repeated assertion isn't.

You haven't bothered to address some of the points I raised (how it should
be done: on a population basis, number of legal areas, etc.) or even *why*
this would be useful.

Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never