Re: [Linux-aus] NZ firm puts Linux on desktops

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 01:49:16PM +0930, David Lloyd wrote:

> Con,
>

> One of our local ISPs just installed RedHat Linux 9.0 onto all their
> customer support desks. Apparently some users didn't even realise that
> things had changed.
>
> Most of their tools are web-based.

Is there a possibility of writing this up for publication? I would be most
interested in their feedback.

I am sick and tired of hearing about how much 're-training' will be
necessary for businesses who jump from Windows to Linux desktops. I don't
buy any of that. I have two case studies, both ironically from New
Zealand, showing total re-training (for upto 300 desktop seats) being
around 10 minutes(!!) per user. I would imagine this to be similar to the
re-training effort needed to go from Win98 to XP.

Con Zymaris <conz@cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne 03 9621 2377
Cybersource: Unix/Linux, TCP/IP and Web App. Development  www.cyber.com.au