[Linux-aus] Computerworld: Linux 'not ready' for enterprise IT

Let's follow the logic:

 Andrew Whyte, corporate systems administrator at Central Queensland
 University (CQU), said Linux is not ready to run high-end systems
 because of the lack of vendor support and frequent kernel updates.
 "Our experience with Linux was problematic due to the lack of vendor
 software updates," Whyte said. "We are missing out on the latest
 Linux features because the commercial software we are using can't
 keep up with the kernel development. Hence, we are locked in to older
 versions."

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=507195642&fp=16&fpid=0

So, what Andrew Whyte is saying is that because vendors (Sun, Oracle, IBM
etc.) can't keep up with advancements with the Linux kernel, then Linux
isn't ready for the enterprise.

Makes sense? I think not.

If Linux has the features you want, here and now, and your enterprise
software vendor supports those features on Linux, then what's the problem?
If, Linux lacks features which your enterprise software vendor needs to
provide that software stack on top of the OS, then that's another story.

Con Zymaris <conz@cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne 03 9621 2377
Cybersource: Unix/Linux, TCP/IP and Web App. Development  www.cyber.com.au