Re: [Linux-aus] If you refuse to build it, they will come anyway. (-:

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:57:35PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

> http://computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,83406,00.html
>
>     But while cleaning up Mumu [virus] in remote offices, we
>     discovered something else: We have a growing number of
>     unofficial Linux installations on desktops and servers
>     throughout the company [...]

Cool, let me add another item of interest from the same journal:

Lawyer warns about surrendering to SCO
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=179822653&fp=16&fpid=0

"A user who believes they are entitled to [legally] use a product doesn't
have to prove to someone asserting a contrary right that he is correct.
It's up to the people who assert that they own the copyright to get their
ducks in a row and be in a position to prove it.

"The Copyright Act here is quite explicit about that. A copyright owner
can't make unjustified threats, that is assert that it will be an
infringement of copyright if they haven't got their own ducks in a row from
the point of view of being able to prove they are the copyright owner.

"The Copyright Act [section 202] provides a counter balance to those sorts
of statements. Someone asserting to be a copyright owner cannot make a
threat of infringement unless, in practical terms, they are confident they
are the copyright owner. If there is any doubt about that then they could
be in deep trouble in asserting infringement. Section 202 gives to someone
against whom a claim is made a right to go to [the Federal] Court to get
these people to stop making these threats," Collins told Computerworld.

Con Zymaris <conz@cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne 03 9621 2377
Cybersource: Unix/Linux, TCP/IP and Web App. Development  www.cyber.com.au