[Lias] Plan to use Linux at school

David Joshua Geary dgeary2 at une.edu.au
Tue Jun 28 21:36:13 EST 2011

On 28/06/11 18:47, Jiang, Stephen wrote:
> I am planning to set up a Linux server and desktops for all students.  Is there anyone willing to share some information on this matter?  Or please let me know some school has done similar work.  Your support is much appreciated, especially for our remote area school.

I'd like to personally see this project succeed.

I will share any information on the matter that I know.

Lorien Novalis School in Greater Sydney has done a similar project
though that was in 2002. They are a small school. They have even
produced a case study on it that was last revised in August 2010. See
http://lorien.com.au/

See also: http://luv.asn.au/node/276

I am an Australian citizen concerned for our children's education.

I have configured an unconventional client-side network boot operating
environment at the University of New England (Ubuntu with a few
customisations). These clients are fat clients in that the programs and
data are stored remotely but are run and manipulated on the local
machine. See
http://perditauranus.dyndns.org/portfolio/resume/skills.html#INBW.

I know how to configure all parts of that project except for the LDAP
server, the DNS server, and Citrix. I'm working on learning how to
configure an LDAP server for authentication, and I'd like to learn how
to configure a DNS server.

I have no experience configuring 802.1X networks or VLANs but can
configure traditional networks (except DNS) including network security.

The following information that would be useful in advancing your project:
- - The current system including how it interfaces both internally and
with external systems
- - The computer administrative skills and experience available on-site
including both Linux and non-Linux skills and experience
- - Available real-time methods of communication
- - Any ideas you would like to discuss

Thank you.

I'm also looking for work and willing to relocate if necessary.
See: http://perditauranus.dyndns.org/portfolio/resume/skills.html

- --
David Joshua Geary
UNE Linux User Group: linux at une.edu.au <http://lugune.dyndns.org>
I don't care what software you use so long as
  we only exchange files in open data formats
Open-Document <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Document>
Ogg <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg>
PDF <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf>