[Lias] Content filtering: how we do it.

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Thu Mar 12 20:04:10 EST 2009

John wrote:
> Paul Shirren wrote:
>
>> That is a great toolset. I use shorewall a lot.
>>
>> I used to use squid, squidguard and dansguardian when I was putting
>> together filtering solutions. These days I would probably look at
>> OpenDNS as well.
>>

> When I've tried Dansguardian, I've got too much of the stuff I want to
> see, and that's entirely innocent.

I'm not sure i understand your meaning fully, but if Dan's Guardian is
letting too much through, set its naughtynesslimit lower and it will
catch more.

My home network, which services two primary-school-aged children and
their two parents, is set to 75 (50 is the recommendation for young
children, 100 for older children, and 160 for young adults), and i
sometimes end up bypassing it for my own needs, but mostly it it suits
me just fine, and won't let the kids through to anything objectionable.

At any rate, DG can do at least what squidGuard does in terms of URL
blocking (in fact, they can use exactly the same blocklists), and does
scan actual content, which is a BIG improvement.  Obviously it's not
perfect (nothing is), but it does a pretty good job.

Paul

P.S.  I forgot to mention earlier how glad i am to see some action on
this list!  :-)  Even though i don't work directly for schools any more...