[Lias] An opportunity to grab!

Andrew andrew at swinndesign.com
Thu May 18 11:08:02 UTC 2006

>> Offers of pc's where turned down, when approaching schools. Computers in
>> schools are managed at a regional head office level. Take for example,
>> Trangie Central School (my old school, central western NSW, all pcs are
>> managed from Dubbo, 54kms (1 hour away), same as with Bourke (4 hours
>> away)
>>
>> Craig

A quick question in response to this bit. Did you find the offers were
being turned down from a System Admin contact. ie was it the System
Admin who was pulling the strings?

The reason I ask is that in the small time I have been trying to
organise to get Ubuntu into a local high school, one of the biggest
things I have noticed is how much control a single System Admin member
of staff has, and this has proved the single biggest challenge to me.

Its probably a common thing in any corporate/goverment IT network maybe
someone can enlighten me more on this? But the problem I have with this
is the fact that a school of more than 80 teachers plus their entire ICT
resources tends to revolve around the single member of staff.

The teaching staff I think have some very incorrect perceptions about
what should be happening with ICT in schools and what they can and
cannot do with computers and software etc. I hear so many different
takes on the whole Microsoft in schools deal I wonder which one is right
for the NSW DET. Most of these ideas seem conjured up by system admins
to prevent other teachers from doing anything outside of their power.

Cheers,

Andrew Swinn