[Lias] AUC and intranets

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Wed Sep 1 08:32:01 UTC 2004

Simon Bryan wrote:
> 2. use Moodle (or other) with WebDAV for directory access. Are there any
> 'pretty' front end systems for this already?

Not having used AUC, I probably don't have a full appreciation for it,
it looks to be in very widespread use.

The reason I mention Moodle is that it is damn good software and it is
one of the most active projects I have ever seen. It lets a teacher put
up resources, quizes, journals etc in a variety of ways. Students can
already attach files to assignments and forum posts, and there is a per
course and per site file area for admins and teachers.

There is a document management system under development which will do
what you need eventually, allowing students to have private file areas
for upload/download, and shared areas as well I think. It may even be
usable for what you want if you want to run cvs versions of moodle, and
are prepared to do some development.

I suspect Moodle can be coaxed to do most of what AUC did and is
probably a tool teachers should be getting into. You can even load SCORM
objects into courses in case the Learning Federation ever produce
anything of value ;-)

WebDav works fine if you are using a Mac, but I guess the implementation
of web folders across different versions of Windows is probably a bit
iffy. You would probably have to throw a PHP front client on to it to
guarantee accessability.

The Moodle forum on the Document Management System is here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?f=352