[Lias] vsftpd

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Mon Jul 19 07:09:02 UTC 2004

Ken Yap wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>I am trying to setup vsftpd on my RH9 system. I can login OK with a local
>>user, anonymous access and all other users are denied OK. However every
>>attempt to do a ls or dir is met with
>>
>>200 PORT command successful.Consider using PASV
>>425 Failed to establish connection
>
> http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-109746
>
> Does this page, found using Google, shed any light on your problem? Do
> you need to enable port 20 and also let port 20 through any firewalls
> you have? Alternatively use PASV mode, like the server suggests.

You shouldn't have to do that if you run iptables with the FTP
connection tracking module.  I've never needed to add anything more
than the base port with FTP - the connection tracking takes care of
the rest.

Here's my vsftpd.conf:

anonymous_enable=YES
dirmessage_enable=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
xferlog_std_format=YES
nopriv_user=ftp
ftpd_banner=Redlands College FTP service.  Unauthorised use prohibited.
pam_service_name=vsftpd
userlist_enable=YES
listen=YES
tcp_wrappers=YES

I think your problem is connect_from_port_20=NO.  If you change that,
it should be allowed through.

Paul

P.S.  From a legal perspective, i've heard that the word welcome
really is not desirable and you probably should just say the name of
the service and "Unauthorised use prohibited" as shown above.

--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations, Redlands College
38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, Australia