[Lias] Help with Winbind!?

Max Hobbs m.hobbs at uws.edu.au
Fri Sep 5 15:11:02 UTC 2003

Hi all,
I've been reading through Simon Bryan's posts (with a host of others from
various sources) with some interest over the past few days, trying to find
a way to get useable authentication from a RH9 box to an NT4 domain.
         I've battled my way through winbind and PAM troubles on and off
for about a week and now the box has stopped all forms of logon.
Subsequently I've decided to reinstall RH9 on the box (without samba) to
start from scratch on the project.
         My biggest trouble other than not having time to sit down un
interrupted, i think, is a lack of proper linux knowledge. I've done many
installs and am comfortable using linux however my strict expertise are in
windows environments.

         I was wondering if anyone out there could help me to get all this
working. Perhaps providing information with enough detail for a wintendo
user to follow.

Perhaps my main questions are the following..
         1) Does samba have to be configured with the
--with-winbind-auth-challenge and/or --with-pam ?

         (reason being, from a base RH9 with samba installed from the setup
process I was able to wbinfo -u dom+uname%pass and received plaintext
authentication succeeded though no other information appeared)

         2) What PAM files need to be modified in order to allow shell and
X logons to the machine?
         3) Is there any way to automatically map to the users network home
directory (as defined by the domain users and groups settings)?

Everyone here thinks I'm mad in trying to do this, suggesting I avoid
winbind, however I don't want to have to populate 1300+ student user
accounts on the linux boxes every six months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm more or less at my wits' end
with this.

Cheers in advance
Max Hobbs

Max Hobbs - Technical Officer
School of Engineering and Industrial Design
University of Western Sydney