[Lias] WinXP with Samba PDC

Phil Scarratt lias at draxsen.com
Fri Sep 5 14:12:02 UTC 2003

Simon Issell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Hopefully someone can help with this frustrating problem, maybe I'm just doing
> something wrong.
>
> We are running WinXP SP1 and Samba 2.2.8a. I create machine accounts for XP
> boxes as normal and then join the box to the domain, no problem. Then add a
> domain user as a local administrator, also no problem. Then, after a while,
> (usually after a reboot) the user is removed from the users list for some
> reason and can't be put back without removing the computer from the domain
> and rejoining. (Note that the user is still listed as a member of the
> administrator group, only as their unix user number, not username???!!!)
> There are so many things that just don't seem to work properly in XP if you
> are not an administrator, and this is really giving me a headache! Not all
> our XP machines have the problem either, some work fine, and I can't see
> anything different between the ones that do work and the ones that don't. I'm
> not sure exactly when this problem developed, everything used to work fine,
> it may have been when we upgraded to Samba 2.2.8a? Initially I thought it was
> a problem with the machine accounts, but now I'm not so sure. Could it be
> something to do SID's?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon Issell
> Nambour Christian College

Can't offer much help on your problem but was wondering what distro you
use? We use RH7.3 Samba 2.2.3a and have LOTS of problems joining
machines to domain - the age old "No mapping between account names and
security IDs was done". I have tried the much recommended "use lower
case" to no avail. Up until now, have been using a demo copy of Norton
Ghost to join the machines to the domain.

Fil

--

Phil Scarratt
System Administrator