[Lias] Windows Update Server

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Sep 4 14:43:02 UTC 2003

 > Does anyone know of OSS software that will emulate Microsoft's
 > Software Update Services (SUS) on a Linux box and which fools desktop
 > clients into thinking it has connected to a Windows Update server.

I'm not aware of anything like that. Unfortunately, Windows Update
relies heavily on ActiveX controls and other such nasties, making a *NIX
hosted implementation rather hard.

I'm partially working around it here by downloading the fixes onto one
machine, then distributing them over the network. At least I save on
downloads.

If you wanted to go one step further, you could have the machines'
domain logon scripts automatically execute the patch cache - I've heard
of this being done quite a bit... think I read about it in Windows for
Professionals. Google may help with finding ways to intelligently decide
what to run.

Here, I only have to maintain 10 Windows desktops, the rest being Linux,
via LTSP (about 10) or MacOS 9 (6). As such, it's easier for me to just
go around and manually patch them (from a network share, not Windows
Update) after downloading the fixes on one machine.

Craig Ringer