[Lias] Linux on the desktop - NO?

Phil Scarratt lias at draxsen.com
Tue Sep 2 14:00:01 UTC 2003

Simon Bryan wrote:
> Craig Ringer said:
>

>>>I get many web browser crashes (java related I think - especially with Galeon)
>>>that
>>>lock the session and persist beyond a logoff and login. The only solution I have
>>>found is to delete and re-create the user directory, which is not very
>>>satisfactory!
>>
>>I've never had Mozilla lock up since Macromedia fixed the flash5 SHM
>>bug. Flash 6 is /required/ for network transparent X, and flash 5 will
>>crash your browser. Other than that, it's been rock-solid.
>>

>>>Difficult, if not impossible, to 'map' drives so that users can get data from a
>>>range of sources.
>
> Suggestions seem to be to use KDE and either Knoqueror or Opera. I liked Galeon
> simply because it was a small footprint browser only.
>
> We use Squirrelmail for email
>

>>The best solution I've found is to have a system-wide automount in
>>/smb/$HOSTNAME, giving users access to public/shared directories. I
>>posted in more detail about this on the perth linux user group list
>>(archives at http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/ ). Here's one I posted a
>>while ago:
>
> We do have a shared area they can all access but in a school we also need to have
> private directories

At the school I manage we have private directories (home directory), a
directory for teachers, a directory for students and then directories
for each subject group.

Using Konqueror exclusively may prove to be a problem - it was for us.
Some web sites would not work (not just IE-centric ones). However,
taking a look at konqueror.org it looks like it is pretty standards
compliant so things should be better. Apart from that, it was by far the
most usable and stable browser.

Fil